Genesys gl811e - based usb mass storage

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 29 16:13:03 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any reliable ones?  e.g, something you could leave
> on all day as a second drive?

My first experience (several years ago) with external HDs was a
no-name enclosure I bought at a computer show.  It failed, although
the drive itself was fine, after perhaps ten hours of use.  Since then
I've stuck with name brands with the drive already in it.  I own a
250Gb Lacie that I adore, and a Western Digital 80Gb that's quite
nice.  Neither has been used as an always-on device, but both are
relatively old (the Lacie is three plus years old, the WD two or more)
and have worked well.  The Lacie is great because they packed it in a
"skin-tight" metal casing barely larger than the HD inside, making it
much smaller than most enclosures.  The WD is a bulky bastard.  I
would buy another Lacie without hesitation.  Years ago Lacie's prices
were very high, but these days they're mostly quite reasonable.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org