Finding out what a process is doing

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 29 15:29:09 UTC 2007

--- Fernando Duran <liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> --- Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > I have a process (opcmona related to OpenView)
> that
> > is using more CPU
> > resources than normal.  Is there a way to get some
> > idea about what this
> > process is doing?
>
> Hi,
>
> lsof and ptrace is a good start.

I meant "strace" (trace system calls). Also "ldd"
(what libraries it's using) and "ltrace" may give
useful info.

And of course "ps", I like the tree view: ps -auxf
|more

"vmstat" and similar is useful too for a more complete
picture.

You can also try and "renice" that process (reduce its
CPU scheduling priority)

Fernando