What Is The Linux Version Of ...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 28 12:30:48 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> John Vetterli wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >> As followup to one of the discussions that came up yesterday at the
> >> board meeting, I set up the following wiki page:
> >> http://gtalug.org/wiki/LinuxVersionOf
> >> It seeks to answer the question:  "What is the Linux Version of ..."
> >
> > I don't use it myself, but isn't KOffice a valid alternative to MS
> > Office?
> >

> I suspect OpenOffice is a better comparison.

For newcomers, "slavish similarity" is likely more suitable, and OO
definitely aims more at that...

It's worth observing that there are totally different approaches, such
as with TeX/LaTeX, which is "GUIed" as Lyx.  I'd much rather write a
book using LaTeX than using any sort of emulation of MS Word,
personally.

But yeah, the "slavish similarity" approach probably provides simpler
answers for newcomers who are afraid they won't have any applications
to work with.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)