tips needed; dealing with mental block while coding

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 27 21:20:17 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think it has been probably 2 years since I had any real amount of
> caffiene (I don't eat that much chocolate).  Never did like coffee, and
> I simply don't have any more Colas either.
>
> Result is that I sleep better, my stomach isn't upset any more, and I
> can get up in the morning, and am no longer tending towards a 26 or 28
> hour day (which only just works in university, but sure doesn't in real
> life).  Now if I could just get into the exercise habit.

I kicked sugar entirely.  I don't eat/drink anything which lists any
kind of sugar or sugar-esque ingredient. (or preservatives, or
hydrogenated/modified ingredients ...)

The result has been a more lucid life experience.  It's just a subtle
shift sometimes, but at other times it's quite notable.

--+

I sit down to do a bit of programming (go Ruby go!) and even when just
sitting around writing some comments or pseudocode I have hugely cool
ideas.

But I have days when I can re-read my comments and not feel the same
whole-idea-grasping which I originally did.  That grasping seems to
come and go depending upon my mood.

So since I'm barely a hobbyist, I just sit down to it whenever I'm
inspired, and when I'm not .. I don't.  =)

But if I wanted to take it more seriously, scheduling a little bit of
time to do anything related to the topic would be a help.

"Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years" was an interesting read:
http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

Doing "peripheral things" when not focused on a primary skill itself
has helped strengthen a number of skills.

Even writers have the notion of sitting down and writing *anything*
even though it's crap.. because sometimes a gem can be found, but at
the least there's practise to be had even while spinning one's wheels
a bit.