VirtualBox and Qemu networking

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 27 15:54:58 UTC 2007

E K wrote:
> I didn't know that VMWare for linux was free. How does VMWare server
> differ from VMWare workstation?

If it is free for Linux, it could be worth looking at. The problem I see is
the lack of useful information on the vmware website.

They don't indicate which operating system you need to run in order to use the
evaluation software that they send via e-mail as part of their "Virtualization
starter".

It doesn't list how fast a machine you need to use vmware or how much slower
things will be in the guest OS when using vmware. My machine is slow compared
to modern machines. I notice a drop in performance when running Windows
programs using Wine. I also notice that running something via Qemu is slower
than running the same thing natively.

None of these virtualization sites make it clear whether I can make use of an
existing Windows partition or whether I need to do a Windows install within
the virtual environment along with installing all the other Windows apps I may
want to continue using.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.