tips needed; dealing with mental block while coding

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 26 22:39:22 UTC 2007

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've only been coding for three years, so I am far from an expert.
> In that time though I've found a definite pattern and I am wondering
> how common it is.
>
>   No matter how eager I am on a project, I run into these "blocks"
> where I lose all motivation. I try to push myself to code but
> inevitably, and often quickly, I just end up doing something else. I
> chide myself, try to get back at it, then drift off again. After a few
> days usually I am back into the swing of things and I can code morning
> to night without stopping.
>
>   So first; how much does this happen to others here?
>
>   Second; when it does, has anyone found a way to get themselves back
> on track?
>
>   Thanks for any tips... Now I'll go back to trying to work again :)

While I haven't written a lot of code, I have experienced that too.
It's called "writer's block".  You have to be in a condition where the
ideas flow and that's not always on a fixed schedule.  I found I often
had good ideas, when I was doing something unrelated.  I found the same
thing happens when designing electronic circuits.