OT: card reader vs direct USB

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 26 17:14:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:01:46AM -0400, Alan Cohen wrote:
> I have several devices (audio recorder, camera) that can I connect to my
> box via USB.
>
> Would it be safer (ie: less static electricity problems) to remove their
> memory cards and put them in a card reader? In general, what is the
> rationale for using a card reader?

Many cameras were USB 1 while the card reader was USB2 making for much
faster transfers.  That is becoming less of an issue with newer cameras
of course.

Certainly just connecting a cable to the camera seems like the safest
method.  Of course another advantage of using a card reader is that you
aren't wasting the baterries of the camera during the transfer.  Some
people have multiple cards that they swap in and out of the camera and
may find it more convinient to use a card reader if the card isn't
already in the camera.

--
Len Sorensen