[OT] The Great Firewall of China

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 26 02:34:14 UTC 2007

--- Zu Zhihui <zuzhihui-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> alimentarus.net is *NOT* blocked. I am in China and
> I can visit your site.
>
> The result that
> http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org/ reported is not
> accurate.

Well, have a look at the
http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org/ documentation.
They note that they are doing testing via just one
server in China, so a temporary problem with said
server, or a temporary problem with DNS, or ... can
cause false blocked reports.

So, while stuff from The Great Firewall of China is
interesting it isn't perfect. An oddity that I saw,
The Great Firewall of China website reported that:

   torfree.net

was blocked, yet:

   www.torfree.net

wasn't blocked, and yes, both of the above point to
the same web page... Odd...

Colin McGregor