Cannot sync with J-Pilot

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 23 19:54:42 UTC 2007

Giles Orr descended, with this inscribed on tablets:

> On 3/23/07, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Don't know when this happened, but at some point J-Pilot stopped working on
> > me. I always had it working with the default settings, ie. using /dev/pilot,
> > although my Visor has a USB cradle.
>
> I have occasional problems with my Tungsten E and jpilot that seem to
> extend across distros (well, Ubuntu and Debian, and certainly several
> kernels).  I'm currently using Debian testing with the 2.6.18-3-k7
> kernel and jpilot 0.99.9.2.  I've never used the Gnome or KDE pilot
> packages.

IIRC, the behaviour did change around the time I upgraded my kernel to
2.6.17-10, but I could be wrong about that.

> > Gnome-Pilot does work, but I can't tell how it is connecting, all it says
> > for 'Device' is 'usb:', no indication of what it's using in terms of a path
> > to the device.
>
> Check your /var/log/messages - while Gnome-Pilot won't write there,
> the kernel should notice and comment on the arrival of a USB device.

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked, and what is kinda confusing. All the
docs I've read say to hit sync in JPilot 1st, then hit the sync on the cradle.
Doesn't seem to make sense if JPilot immediately goes looking for the device
path, then errors out when it doesn't find the right one. Anyhow, I've tried
every which way, no go.

> > I've tried configuring J-Pilot to use /dev/ttyUSB0, USB1, etc., but none of
> > them work, I just get an error from J-Pilot that there is no such file or
> > directory.
>
> I don't fully understand this, so take my comments with a grain of
> salt (and anyone who does understand, please enlighten us).  I think
> the ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 links are created when the PDA is on and its
> sync button is pressed.  What I've found is that under certain
> circumstances (which I haven't nailed down yet) I get this in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Mar 23 13:13:13 glo kernel: usb 5-2.2: new full speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 7
> Mar 23 13:13:31 glo kernel: usb 5-2.2: new full speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 8
> Mar 23 13:14:01 glo kernel: usb 5-2.2: new full speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 9
> (ad nauseum with increasing "address" numbers every couple seconds,
> and no ttyUSB[01])
>
> This behaviour fits with your problem, but you'll have to check if you
> see this.  A reboot will probably fix it, or you can run "modprobe -r
> ehci_hcd" and try again if you don't mind breaking some of your USB
> devices until you put the module back!  It probably also reduces you
> to USB 1.1 speeds?

I don't want to risk breaking anything at this point :-) At least I can
download my news fix from Avant Go for now...

> > When I hit the sync button on the USB cradle, this is what comes up
> > in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > Mar 23 00:27:02 node1 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using
> > uhci_hcd and address 2 Mar 23 00:27:02 node1 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration
> > #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> That makes me think your problem isn't the same: when mine gets into
> trouble, I never see this.  I only see it when I'm not having trouble.

Yeah, this is what's bugging me, as far as I can tell, every indication is
that it should be 'just working'. I would almost be happier if I could see
some sort of identifiable problem ;-)

> Sorry this isn't a lot of help.  Keep me informed.

Will do! Thanks.

--
JoeHill