hard disk encryption for laptop

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 22 21:08:55 UTC 2007

I am going to install the latest Debian Etch (RC2) to a laptop, and I
noted that hard disk encryption is an option that is now available
during the installation.

- Have you tried setting up encryption during install, or do you find
it better to perform a normal install and setup encryption manually
afterwards?

- Do you notice a significant impact on encrypted drive performance vs
unencrypted? (I am installing on a Thinkpad T23, 1GHz, 256MB RAM)

- Google turns up some HOWTOs that detail setting up a encryption key
on a /boot partition that is installed on a USB stick... Has anyone
explored that option?

Thanks for any feedback...