Oh say can you SEO?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 22 03:04:32 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:42, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I'd be greatly thankful if folks here can point me to good resources
> (books, websites, etc.) in the field of search engine optimization
> (SEO). Some of the sites I've been looking at so far promise "free"
> stuff that look like a one-way trip to their "hire me" section.
>
> Book recommendations are appreciated. I saw an "SEO for Dummies" title
> but somehow I suspect I can do better.

I have a site that is number one on google (anticipating the 2 keywords I
expect people to be looking for).

I didn't need to play any games to get there or to stay there, I think I'm
there because ...

* I have quite a lot of content, *all* of it is very relevant to the topic
* I have a fair number of people linking to my site (without asking)
* my domain name is relevant to the topic
* the site is very simple (no javascript links), no wierd font tricks, few
  images
* the site has lots of links (within the site and pointing outside)

If you're trying to get found in a "market" that is already saturated I think
it might be tough.  I read years ago that Linux.org was making hundreds of $
per day from their advertising (and there are numerous sites making more) ...
if you're entering a market like that you will be competing against fellow
optimizers who are very motivated to maintain their places and have the
advantage of already being entrenched.