Cron and DST patches

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 21 20:43:56 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org <Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote on 03/21/2007 11:49:49 AM:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:46:11AM -0400, Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > >I just wanted to inform everyone, as I have discovered, that after
> > >applying the DST patches to some systems the cron daemon has to be
> > >restarted or it will run an hour late.
> >
> > Which distributions?  Which versions?
> >

> I have now witnessed this on the following:
>
> CentOS 4.3 & 4.4
> Leagcy RedHat
>
> Looking around on the forums it seems that all distributions may be
> affected
> by this, so I am now restarting the cron daemon on all servers. I will
> post
> later if I discover issues on my Debian & Gentoo servers.

My recommendation on DST was to either examine every peice of software
on the system to determine how it would be impacted by the change, or
reboot.

Since I have under 30 systems to worry about, I lumped in some other
change activites and rebooted.

I can't imagine any application expecting a dynamic change in the
rules for the time zone they're in.  The time of day, no problem.  The
zone?  maybe... the rules inside the zone?  That's a very rare corner
case.

-Mike