Partition Inconsistencies

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 19 16:17:11 UTC 2007

On 3/19/07, John M. Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I did the enlarging of the / partition (ext3) using a live CD and the
> partition was not mounted. However, there was an error in gparted during
> the process. Perhaps the error stopped the process before the file
> system was enlarged. So now how do I enlarge a file system when the
> partition size has already been changed, without erasing everything in
> the partition?

First things first: do you have a backup?  I've never had trouble
resizing a filesystem, but I've only done it a couple of times and I
_always_ make a backup first, but I might be paranoid.

Assuming you're comfortable with the safety of your data, the tool you
need is resize2fs.  According to 'man resize2fs', you want something
like this:

resize2fs <device>

So, assuming your / is on /dev/hda1, you want 'resize2fs /dev/hda1'.
There is also a size parameter that you can specify after the device,
but, according to the man page, if you omit the size parameter,
resize2fs will enlarge the filesystem to fill the partition.

HTH,
Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com