computer freezing

Slackrat slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 19 06:23:44 UTC 2007

* jim ruxton <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> a écrit
> Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my laptop keeps
> freezing. I'm running FC5. The freezing is intermittent but seems to be
> happening more often (or I'm getting less impatient) . I can't seem to
> find a pattern to it for example when using specific programs. If I am
> doing nothng and just let it run it will often freeze. I did a RAM test
> and that seems ok. Is it possible the Kernel is corrupted somehow? Below
> is my /var/log/messages . Only way I can interact with the system is
> with altSysRQ commands. This is really frustrating. Anyone have any
> ideas what I can try. When it freezes I can't even SSH into it so I
> don't think it is a problem with X windows.
> jim

Your problem probably is an X Windows problem

And the short answer is that you probably can't do much about it given
that you have whatever hardware you have in your laptop so long as you
have the right clocks line in xorg.conf and that the X server is
otherwise configured correctly.

I just switched to xorg 7.1 to try to solve similar problems to yours.

Unfortunately 7.1 just crashes and locks up much more frequently and
spectacularly, particularly when running xine

--
Slackrat [no 4q for direct email]