computer freezing

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 18 13:20:42 UTC 2007

On 3/18/07, jim ruxton <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thanks Alex, I have a nvidia card so probably not this. I'm going to try
> KDE for a while as opposed to Gnome and see if that makes a difference.

What is unfortunate is that that might well appear to "help," although
it would essentially involve masking the true problem.

It's more than likely that the root problem lies in some interaction
between the driver for your X server and the graphics card.  That
would be the classic reason for a system lockup.

But it is also simultaneously possible that the problem is only
exposed by certain X rendering operations, and that the problem will
be more likely to be "tickled" by some applications than by others.

In fact, I had much this problem, back in the earliest days of the
nVidia "GeForce" cards; I wound up deactivating all of the OpenGL
screensavers because there was a propensity for the graphics card to
get deranged, locking the whole system, when processing OpenGL
requests.  The card wound up frying itself, eventually, so the proper
answer was ultimately replacement.  But I did cut down on crashes by a
reconfiguration of xscreensaver...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)