computer freezing

Amos H. Weatherill right_maple_nut-/E1597aS9LT10XsdtD+oqA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 18 01:44:14 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org]On Behalf Of jim
ruxton
Sent: March 17, 2007 9:14 PM
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: computer freezing

Thanks Mike, no nvidia.
jim
> On 3/17/07, jim ruxton <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my laptop keeps
> > freezing. I'm running FC5. The freezing is intermittent but seems to be
> > happening more often (or I'm getting less impatient) . I can't seem to
> > find a pattern to it for example when using specific programs. If I am
> > doing nothng and just let it run it will often freeze. I did a RAM test
> > and that seems ok. Is it possible the Kernel is corrupted somehow? Below
> > is my /var/log/messages . Only way I can interact with the system is
> > with altSysRQ commands. This is really frustrating. Anyone have any
> > ideas what I can try. When it freezes I can't even SSH into it so I
> > don't think it is a problem with X windows.
> > jim
>
> Just a thought, do you have an ATI video card?
>
> I like to blame them :-)
>
> -Mike

Do you happen to have a system based on an VIA Chipset?

I have a client system here that is displaying behaviour very similar to
what you describe.  My clients system is running Windows XP (ugh, I know),
however the problem seems to be an infinite loop that occurs when the system
is trying to read or write the Shared Memory Region that is being used as
video memory.

Incidentally, I would be interested is hearing from anyone on the list who
has experienced this problem, either under Linux or Windows.  If people feel
that this is off-topic, I can be reached at 'right_maple_nut-/E1597aS9LT10XsdtD+oqA at public.gmane.org'

If you mail me off list please make the subject 'infinite loop video
problems' so that I don't accidentally delete your messages.

Thanks in advance to any who reply either on list or off.

Signed.
Amos H. Weatherill