eth<from hell> where is it storing old mac address refs?

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 17 14:33:17 UTC 2007

i cloned a linux flash appliance (fw/vpn)
and when i put the flash cart. in the new system, which is identical
except for the mac address on the net cards,
the linux then labels eth3 eth4 eth5  the net ports,
and i move it to another machine and
then its eth6 eth7 eth8

i'd like it to just go virgin again and label them eth0 eth1 eth2

I am grep'ing all over the place for the mac numbers of the new and old
interfaces, assuming that somewhere linux has stored these, and when it
find new interfaces it is indexing the eth?? under the assumption maybe
someone is plugging cards in and out and one doesnt want to lose old
ip/mac assignments or soemthing.

anyone know where linux keeps MAC id's ?
I am using SUSE10.1
but if someone has a similar story and fix for any distro,
it would probably be useful.

I can deal with the new assignments if i have to , but i have configs in
OpenSwan (klips) that ref the eth##'s and in general for this cloning to
be as effortless as possible, i'd like the install to forget about the
old Mac address of interfaces it will never see again.

-tl