slackware: rc.4 never seems to get executed

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 17 04:19:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:03:30 -0500 (EST)
sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org wrote:

 Also, should runlevel 4 be included in c1 to c5?
> I suspect not, since they are supposed to be TTY consoles.

c1 to c6 represent the consoles. The numbers that follow tell
you which runlevels they are available in for use.

For example, c3: 1235 means console 3 is available in runlevels 1, 2,
3, and 5. It's not available in runlevel 4. You can add console 3 to
runlevel 4 by adding the number to that line. Change this:
c3:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux

to this:
c3:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux

Note that by default, you already have console 6 available in runlevel
4. That's what that message at the end of the inittab file is about:

# Runlevel 4 used to be for an X window only system, until we discovered
# that it throws init into a loop that keeps your load avg at least 1
# all the time. Thus, there is now one getty opened on tty6. Hopefully
# no one will notice. ;^)
# It might not be bad to have one text console anyway, in case something
# happens to X.
x1:4:respawn:/etc/rc.d/rc.4

Don't worry about that. Take the advice of the Beatles (with one small
change in the lyrics to make it more appropriate for the situation):

When I find myself in times of trouble
Father Patrick comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

--