daylight savings time issues?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 15:37:00 UTC 2007

first, thanks to both you and walter for the response!

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 22:05 -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> A few things to check:
>
> - check /etc/localtime to be sure that it
>    matches /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Eastern - if it does then you have a
>    very interesting problem
> - check that you're running latest tzdata (dpkg -l | grep tzdata), in my case
>   I'm running 2007b-0ubuntu0.6.10
> - check /etc/timezone to make sure Canada/Eastern is what you configured
>
> If my first tip above checks out then there's no need to check the rest, your
> zoneinfo is fine.

all of this turned out fine -- my zone is America/Toronto, but it seems
to be identical in every important respect to Canada/Eastern

> A few other things related to clock:
>
> - run hwclock, if time is not correct run ntpdate to correct system time and
>   then run "hwclock --systohc"

this was the essential piece i couldn't find elsewhere -- for which
thank you!!  I guess for some reason my hardware clock was accidentally
reset or something, lord knows i don't have any idea what the reason was
-- but once i ran "hwclock --systohc" the problem disappeared.

thanks again, it's great to have things working once more.

matt

--
Matt Price
History Dept