Troubleshooting without help from others (was: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 02:03:06 UTC 2007

Jason Spiro wrote:
> Last summer, a coworker of mine was a software package tester who used
> to be an auto mechanic.  He noted I turn to Google a lot for help with
> problems.  He said it was important to know how to troubleshoot
> without any help from the Web, or mailing lists, or anywhere: to know
> how to track down problems by logical troubleshooting steps.
>
> Is this true?  How important is it, really, to know how to
> troubleshoot independently?
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

The fact that this is a legitimate question is funny/sad. Back in the
day I would have considered myself a pretty good trouble shooter. These
days though if you took the Internet away from me I'd be so lost.

Is this a reflection of:

a) The complexity of modern tech being such that no one can be expected
to know enough on their own to be able to work on it independently.

-or-

b) The Internet has atrophied our minds because it allows us to get away
without thinking/problem solving on our own anymore?

Madi