daylight savings time issues?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 00:26:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:38:39PM -0400, Matt Price wrote
> hi,
>
> i'm having a little unexpected trouble with the new DST on my
> ubuntu-feisty laptop.  when i woke up Sunday mroning, the laptop
> had not switched to DST, so I ram
> sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com
> which reset me to the proper time.  however, shortly thereafter when
> i checked the clock -- probably about an hour or so later though
> I can't be sure -- the time had reverted back to standard time.
> my zone information is up to date, at least i think it is:
>
> ~$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Eastern | grep 2007

  As Fraser mentioned, try...
zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007

  In the old days /etc/localtime was actually a symlink to
/usr/share/zoneinfo/ooga/booga (or whatever your selected timezone is).
A nice feature of that was that when your /usr/share/zoneinfo/ooga/booga
was updated, the symlink, by definition, was also updated.

> nonetheless every time i reboot or resume from suspend, my clock is set
> wrong, and i have to run ntpdate.

  Nowadays, /etc/localtime is *A COPY* of /usr/share/zoneinfo/ooga/booga,
and you have to manually...

cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/ooga/booga /etc/localtime

I really can't see the logic behind that.  Anyhow, whenever you reboot,
the system reads /etc/localtime and sets to whatever is indicated there.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1