Ide drive /yes/not recognized

Jose jose-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 12 18:17:01 UTC 2007

Jose wrote:
>> Evan Leibovitch wrote:

>>> Hi Jose,
>>>
>>> Newer dual-core motherboards, notably from Intel, use new IDE
>>> controllers that older Linux kernels don't support. This may explain
>>> why
>>> your SuSE recognized the drive but Centos did not; I have little
>>> experiences with recent releases of either. You may find that the
>>> Centos
>>> "support" for your IDE drives is limited to booting (because of the
>>> BIOS) and is not supported in regular operation any more than the IDE
>>> hard drive.
>>>
>>> There is a driver/patch that supports the new systems with Marvell IDE
>>> controllers:
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/16/157
>>>
>>> This will provide a kernel module 'pata_marvell' which, when loaded,
>>> will recognize the hard drives and other 'conventional' IDE devices
>>> (which are now know as Parallel ATA or PATA).
>>>
>>> What I did was to:
>>> 1) Boot and install Linux off an external USB-connected  CD-ROM drive
>>> 2) Go to the net, download the PATA driver
>>> 3) Compile, install and load the module
>>> 4) Add it to /etc/modules so that it would be found and loaded
>>> automatically on subsequent reboots
>>>
>>> Or you could just use a distribution/version with a newer kernel that
>>> already has the support (as your SuSE apparently does).
>>>
>>> I hope this helps. As always, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply.
>>>
>>> - Evan
>>>
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
>>>

>> Hi Evan,
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion, that made me check something on the
>> motherboard manual.
>>
>> Looking at the motherboard manual, says that I have to apply a driver
>> for IDE drives from the CDROM it came with it, I guess the guy at the
>> shop didn't install it, I would have to install tonight as the
>> machine is at another location, last night I noticed there is an
>> update for the Centos kernel from their repositories, I would check
>> if this version has the support I need for my machine configuration.
>>
>> Jose
>>
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>

> Hi Evan
>
> I tried playing with the motherboard settings, but nothing, same
> results, I am not that familiar with compiling modules or kernels, I
> would have to dig out the instructions how to do that.
>
> Jose

Hi Evan

Just an update on this one, I got to download a newer kernel from
kernel.org, and after playing around, got it to compile, booted up and
got my IDE drives back, problem is that now with this kernel, the
software I wanted to try (free version from Veritas for linux, sends a
message during install and quits) won't run on any non 2.6.9 or lower, I
tried cheating with recompiling the new kernel  and changing the version
from the Makefile to 2.6.9, compiled, booted up, and got it to install
Veritas to an extent, but main daemon vxconfigd, sends a message saying
it couldn't install due to some package dependency, I boot up with the
older kernel and installed fine, does anybody knows what patches would
be necessary to get the old kernel 2.6.9-42 to recognize IDE drives
conected to EIDE prots on an asus P5LD2 motherboard?

Thanks

Jose