French National Assembly going Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 23:32:01 UTC 2007

Slackrat wrote:
> The French National Assembly (MPs) will go Linux along with their
> Parliamentary Assistants in June this year
>
> Pardon my not translating the rather lengthy article into English
>
> http://www.zdnet.fr/actualites/informatique/0%2c39040745%2c39367717%2c00.htm

Allow me.

Technology - the deputies and their assistants will have with the
parliamentary re-entry in June PC equipped with the distribution Linux
Ubuntu. Derived from the Debian distribution, this operating system is
supposed being one of the OS Linux easiest to use.

As of the next legislature, in June 2007, 1.154 data-processing stations
in particular placed at the disposal of the deputies will integrate the
operating system Ubuntu, based on the Linux core.

It is at the time of the renewal of the PC of the parliamentary
assistants that the Assembled national one decided to migrate of Windows
in Linux and to provide, for the first time, with the 577 deputies of
the computers equipped with the same software not owners.

The invitation to tender was gained by the service companies
data-processing Linagora, specialized in the free one, and Unilog, plus
general practitioner. The distribution Mandriva Linux was proposed in
several other files in string but was not retained.

Derived from the Debian distribution, Ubuntu is supposed to answer the
concerns of ergonomics and facility of installation of general public.
"It is addressed as well to the private individuals as with the
confirmed professionals, beginners or who wish to have a free and made
safe operating system", summarizes the Ubuntu.fr site, point gathering
of the French-speaking community Ubuntu.

The deputies and their assistants will also have on their post offices
of the office automation continuation OpenOffice, the Firefox navigator
and his customer of transport Mozilla Thunderbird, as well as other
specific applications.

To resort to French people receiving benefits

The project was defended by the deputies Richard Cazenave and Bernard
Carayon (UMP), which propose to certain advantages of the solutions not
owners of which the "lightening of the cost of the data processing in
government agencies equipment and the transfer of the value added
towards French and European people receiving benefits".

Before making her decision, the Parliament ordered a study with Atos
Origin, which concludes that "the free solutions offer from now on
functionalities adapted to the needs for the deputies and will make it
possible to realize substantial savings in spite of certain costs of
implementation and formation". According to our information, the budget
to equip the data-processing park in free solutions would be about
80.000 euros.

The parliamentary room used already free software for its information
system: the free Web server Apache and the system of management of Mambo
contents. It thus acts of the first migration of PC from a public
institution under a OS Linux. The preceding initiatives of
administrations around the free software rather concerned the waiters
(ministry for Agriculture), the OpenOffice continuation or the navigator
Firefox (national gendarmerie and general direction of the taxes).

The above courtesy of Babelfish.