Mail Setups

Slackrat slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 10:50:52 UTC 2007

* Brandon Sandrowicz <brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org> a écrit
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
>>> How do you deal with ISP down-time then?
>>
>> I read a book.
>>
>> Jamon
>
> Good one. :)
>
> If I were to host my email on a server at home, as he does, I would be
> worried about remote access.  What if the ISP is down when I need to
> check my email, or at least access some info from an email that I
> already received?

If you are serious about running a mail server, you can cover downtime
with a backup for a small fee at No-Ip.com - probably other places too

It's probably worth it

I don't use their services for mail, but notwithstanding I have a
static IP, I still use the service for the nameservers. Free.fr only
give me two, although they do give you reverse DNS, but RFC 2182
recommends Three.

That way I don't need to run BIND or similar and if my system is down,
I don't get tagged for nameservers down/unreachable/etc

--
Regards, Slackrat [Bill Henderson] [No _4Q_ for direct email]
-