Mail Setups

Brandon Sandrowicz brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 06:31:38 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
>> How do you deal with ISP down-time then?
>
> I read a book.
>
> Jamon

Good one. :)

If I were to host my email on a server at home, as he does, I would be
worried about remote access.  What if the ISP is down when I need to
check my email, or at least access some info from an email that I
already received?

I have more trust in the uptime of professional hosting services than in
consumer-level ISPs.  Mostly because telcos seem to have a "there is no
down-time" or "it must be your line, or your modem or your computer"
attitude towards customer inquiries into lack of internet access.

This might be misplaced trust, because I realize that cable/dsl internet
providers have to have a pretty good uptime most of the time for people
to want to pay for their service.  I also admit that being paranoid
about the ocassional outage is just that (being overly paranoid) but I
try and work out what the best option is.

Brandon