Mail Setups

Slackrat slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 03:34:38 UTC 2007

* Brandon Sandrowicz <brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org> a écrit
> I'm just wondering what people's mail setups are like.  Do you just
> POP3 all your email with fetchmail and use a console client?  Do you
> just use webmail like Gmail or Hotmail?  Do you have email on a
> hosting service, and use IMAP?  Console/GUI email app?  Does your
> client implement SMTP or do you use a local server?  If so, is it
> fully featured like postfix or basic like ssmtp?

Gnus  is used  exclusively  on my  network/domain.  I love  Emacs/Gnus
because it permits a very high degree of customization

Like  a cool  Face  Header, to  display  in the  'From'  line, a  zany
Shakespeare  quote plus  other stuff  in  the headers  too for  anyone
interested/dumb/whatever enough to read them, and a random, selectable
or  automatic 'Plain  Jane' signature  according  to the  whim of  the
moment.and   appropriate   to  the   message   being   sent  and   the
group/list/user it is intended for.

The server is  a trusty Pentium/166 currently with  a 500MB hard drive
and  16MB RAM running  a minimal  system without  'X'. But  the server
changes at intervals; as soon  as I can put together another 'clunker'
from spare parts or whatever, the  server box is donated to a poor kid
at the school a few metres up the street from me.

Popa3d runs on the server to permit me to fetchmail my own traffic and
serve the few 'Third Party' mail users - mainly my kids and grandkids.

Outbound traffic  is not heavy  but inbound traffic is,  mostly Usenet
and  Mailing  List stuff.  I  get  free phone  calls  to  most of  the
civilized world  and email  generally has  become a drag  so I  use it
sparingly.

I check my mailserver frequently via:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=azurservers.com for
RFC  compliance  etc., etc.  [change  my domain  to  your  own for  an
instantaneous report]

Spam? No inbound  mail from a domain thet resolves  is ever treated as
spam but I do some pretty fine sieving with anything else being dumped
into a 'Potential Spam' folder. For mailing lists and usenet I do as I
do on TLUG  - subscribe a phony name, skim the  legit list traffic and
dump the rest into a 'This Potential Spam Originated in the TLUG List'
folder. Spam gets too heavy? Resubscribe another name.

Traffic  not meeting a  sort criterium  from free  mailservers (Yahoo,
Hotmail, etc) and suspect countries of origin (tr, cz, za, tw, cn, jp,
ru etc)  get sorted into a  'Potential Spam from xx'  folder. The idea
being that I might someday decide to auto delete it but in fact never
do.

--
Regards, Slackrat [Bill Henderson] [No _4Q_ for direct email]
---