Mail Setups

Brandon Sandrowicz brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 03:04:25 UTC 2007

Jason Carson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I use qmail on my gentoo server I run out of my house. This is my primary
> email server. To access it I use Squirrelmail.
>
> Jason Carson
>
>> I'm just wondering what people's mail setups are like.  Do you just POP3
>> all your email with fetchmail and use a console client?  Do you just use
>> webmail like Gmail or Hotmail?  Do you have email on a hosting service,
>> and use IMAP?  Console/GUI email app?  Does your client implement SMTP
>> or do you use a local server?  If so, is it fully featured like postfix
>> or basic like ssmtp?
>>
>> I don't want to start some flame war (console vs. gui or mbox vs
>> whatever), I'm just wondering how people on TLUG deal with email.  Just
>> something about what you use and why you use it.
>>
>> Personally, I've used things from Apple's Mail.app to Thunderbird to
>> Mutt to Pine to Outlook to Outlook Express over the years.  Right now
>> I'm using Thunderbird on OS X, but I was using Mutt previously for a
>> while.
>>
>> An additional question would be how do you deal with Mailing Lists?  I
>> know that some people setup specific email addresses for mailing lists.
>>   I've even heard of people using a gmail account only for mailing lists
>> because they feel it handles them the best (compared to other webmail
>> clients I guess).
>>
>> Brandon

How do you deal with ISP down-time then?  I used to do something similar
some years ago.  I gave up because every so often my ISP would have
down-time.  I would be more comfortable with a hosting service as the
ISP because they are there to support your server/shared server.  Home
ISPs have none such customer service aspirations, unfortunately.

Brandon