Mail Setups

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 00:03:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 05:37:18PM -0500, Brandon Sandrowicz wrote
> I'm just wondering what people's mail setups are like.  Do you just POP3
> all your email with fetchmail and use a console client?  Do you just use
> webmail like Gmail or Hotmail?  Do you have email on a hosting service,
> and use IMAP?  Console/GUI email app?  Does your client implement SMTP
> or do you use a local server?  If so, is it fully featured like postfix
> or basic like ssmtp?

  This email comes to you via ssmtp from mutt on an 80x48 (yes, I said
48) textmode console.  I've tweaked the textmode like so...
"vga = 6" in /etc/lilo.conf gives a 640x480 pixel textmode.  With the
8-pixel-high CGA fonts, this can give 60 rows, but it's murder on the
eyes.  Instead, I set CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10" in /etc/conf.d/consolefont
The 10-pixel-high font is much more readable than the CGA 8-pixel-high
font.

  Things get a bit complex switching from ADSL to my backup dialup
connection.  I've set up a connection with pppconfig.  I have 2 scripts
~/bin/dialup tears dowm eth0, copies over the ssmtp.conf for my dialup
ISP, and then actually dials up...
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/295.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/pon 295caext

~/bin/dialdown reverses the process...
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/poff
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/istop.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

  For the sudo commands to work, my /etc/sudoers includes
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/295.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pon 295caext
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/poff
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/istop.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
waltdnes  m3000 = (root) NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

  I point waltdnes.org at a virtual domain at an ISP that has major mods
to qmail.  It allows *USER-CONFIGURED BLOCKING AT THE SMTP STAGE*.  Blocked
email gets the big 550, rather than bouncing spam to some innocent 3rd
party.  I get to admin the spamblocking rules without having to admin a
server.  Since they're in Logansport, Indiana, and I'm in Toronto,
Ontario, I ssh-tunnel the getmail connection.  I even run it as a
cronjob.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1