Slack 11 boots up -- some first impressions

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 9 10:34:58 UTC 2007

It turns out that my BIOS wasn't set up to boot from DVD (I changed a lot of
stuff when I added a HD and upgraded my power supply).

Here now are my first impressions after booting once with Slack 11.

This time, it would seem that in order to install slackware, I have to log in
as root, and manually mount my filesystem under a virtual /mnt directory.
Otherwise, pkgtool won't work. But you see, in order to install stuff, I would
have to also manually format the install partitions (there being apparently no
install script to streamline this process for me). To be fair, I only booted
once with the DVD, and I could have missed something, but I don't recall being
given any other choice other than logging on as root.

Once logged in as root, there is no escape. "logout" doesn't work, and
Control+D doesn't log out (I just get another prompt). I do a "ps ax" to find
out what shell I am running. It reports "sh". It also reports two init
processes. Hmph. I powered down manually, but I may have missed a "reboot"
command and didn't try CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Slackware was one of the first Linux distros I've tried, back in '95 (when it
was part of a TransAmeritech distro). I do not recall it being this difficult
to use, even going by 1995 standards.

Paul King