kate without KDE

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 7 15:01:39 UTC 2007

Hi Sy.

On 3/6/07, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm switching back to blackbox and experiencing the wonderous
> wonderfulness that is a fast desktop experience.
>
> But I miss kate, and I want to use it again.
>
> Except kate's hotkeys don't work.  All the internal stuff works, like
> control-u to uppercase.
>
> But I bound 'activate next/prev tab' to control-tab and
> shift-control-tab and that won't work.
>
> Many other hotkeys work, but 'activate next/prev tab' won't, nomatter
> what my preferences are set to.
>
> What gives?  Is this because i'm not running kwin and some kind of
> shortcut key manager?

Take a look at what keys bbkeys is trapping: I'll bet it's using the
keys you thought were being passed to Kate.  I had the same problem
with Fluxbox and and jpilot: Fluxbox thought "F1" should pop up the
Window Manager help screen so it didn't pass the signal to the app.
In that case I also think the help screen was borked, so I never saw
anything when I pressed F1 and didn't know for a long time why it
didn't work.

At this point I've reassigned pretty much all the WM hotkeys to the
Windows key - I use WinKey-<Number> to change desktops, WinKey-P to
pull up a Program menu (dmenu from wmii :-) etc., etc.  It takes a
while to adjust to, but greatly reduces key conflicts.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org