kate without KDE

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 7 13:26:26 UTC 2007

Sy Ali wrote:
> I'm switching back to blackbox and experiencing the wonderous
> wonderfulness that is a fast desktop experience.
>
> But I miss kate, and I want to use it again.
>
> Except kate's hotkeys don't work.  All the internal stuff works, like
> control-u to uppercase.
>
> But I bound 'activate next/prev tab' to control-tab and
> shift-control-tab and that won't work.
>
> Many other hotkeys work, but 'activate next/prev tab' won't, nomatter
> what my preferences are set to.
>
> What gives?  Is this because i'm not running kwin and some kind of
> shortcut key manager?

Check to see if dcop is running. If not, try starting it with
"dcopserver". It handles much of the underlying operations of the KDE
desktop from what I can tell, passing data and commands from one app to
another. If you run "dcop" you should see a list of all your KDE/QT apps
running. From there you can specify the app and so on, e.g. "dcop amarok
player play" (with amarok running) will play your currently queued track.

Jamon