free: exotic monitors (very high res monochrome)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 4 22:49:01 UTC 2007

I have two amazing monitors that I've barely used.

Cornerstone DualPage 2092 CRT
- comes with PCI video card "ImageAccel 2"
- fixed frequency (hence specialized video card)
- 2040x1664 resolution!
- 19" viewable
- grey scale (16 levels with this video card)
- Manufactiured 1997 July

Bad news:

- the only drivers are binary: OS/2 (2.11, Warp 3.0), MS Win 3.1, MS
  Win 95, MS Win NT (3.51 and 4.0).  (There were SCO drivers but
  they've been lost to the world.)

- no specifications.  Any new drivers will require reverse
  engineering.

- phosphor is slightly burnt (these monitors were originally used for
  form-filling).  Focus needs to be improved.

I used one for a bit under MS Win95, using an X for Win95 to access a
real system (Linux).

Under Linux, the monitor works, but is totaly wasted because the only
supported resolution is 640x480.  The video card has a Cirrus Logic
VGA chip for this resolution but is custom for the real resolutions.

The easiest way to support this monitor might be to use a different
controller card.

TLUGers get first crack at these two monitors.  Reply soon, they'll go
fast (I hope).