Sony ICD-P320 on Linux?

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 3 03:06:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:48:23PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well it's a sony, so most likely it uses atrac as it's internal format,
> almost certainly doesn't behave as a usb-storage device, no matter what
> is inside.  Now maybe if you could take the memory out and put it in a
> reader you could get at the filesystem (if it has one), but it would
> still most likely be in a file format you have no way to work with.
>
> What does lsusb show for it with various levels of verbosity?

Here's the output for lsusb -v, with the Sony plugged in under uhci:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 054c:0271 Sony Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        16
  idVendor           0x054c Sony Corp.
  idProduct          0x0271
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0

Unless I disable uhci, all I get from dmesg is:

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

I never get enough information to try mounting it. If I disable uhci,
then one of the other usb modules takes over and the Sony gets assigned
a device, but no amount of guessing would allow me to mount it. If as
you say it's a proprietary internal filesystem, well, that's that.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A2
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42