Recommendations for a USB 2.0 Expansion Card

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 22:00:26 UTC 2007

--- "Peter P." <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Duncan MacGregor <dbmacg at ...> writes:
> > When you get USB 2.0 cables. Some will work at
> 2.0.
> >
> > All my 1.0 hubs work fine, at 1.0.
> >
> > One 2.0 powered hub does not work. I lights up but
> nobody is home.
> > The other 2.0 hub works fine, but with only one of
> my three cables. (The
> > cables go to a Canon/Sony connector.) I have not
> had time to figure out why.
> >
> > Every motherboard I have ever seen that has
> onboard usb headers works fine
> > with Linux, but not with Windows 95, 98 or ME.
>
> true, but how does this ...
>
> > I use usbview to confirm connections.
>
> Now I am confused: Are you saying that some devices
> don't work under Windows but
> do under Linux ?

There were multiple versions of Windows 95. The first
versions of Windows 95 had NO support for USB. The
last version of Windows 95 and all versions of Windows
98 had some support for USB, but things like USB
memory keys required specific drivers (there was no
generic USB storage device with these versions of
Windows). It wasn't until Windows 2000 that Microsoft
got its USB support into a reasonable shape.