/dev/dsp missing

John M. Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 19:01:09 UTC 2007

I installed Mandriva 2007 and lost the sound (was working with Mandriva
2006). I installed all of the codecs I thought were pertinent, the
players seem to play normally, but there is no sound.

Mandriva has a sound configuration tool. Checking all of the steps, it
looks like the sound card is detected correctly, the driver is correct
and modules are loaded. However, it says that it cannot find the audio
mixer. kmix is there and I also installed aumix just to be sure, but
both give errors that there is no audio mixer (something like that). It
also says that device /dev/dsp is missing.

This is on my daughter's PC at university and I would like to fix it
when I go there this weekend. Any suggestions as to what I could try? If
it's a matter of creating the /dev/dsp device, some tips on options
would be helpful as I am not familiar with making devices.

Thanks,

John.