Microsoft squeezing virtualization

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 1 15:24:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:40:08PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Sounds like cars and software have been on an identical evolutionary path.  I
> am the 5th of 6 kids, the 8 of us used to drive around in an old british
> station wagon (a much smaller car than north american wagons), 2 youngest in
> the trunk.

There are efficient cars.  Minivans and SUVs are really only popular in
North America, and really not at all anywhere else on the planet.

So perhaps the best comparison is drivers of north america and
programmers of computers.  Both on average seem to be getting more
wasteful, although the drivers of the 50s were pretty wasteful too, so
perhaps drivers just haven't changed that much.

> These days that old wagon we had would almost be too small for 2 people, let
> alone 4 (now we need SUVs or minivans for the solo commutes to work).  The
> comforts in vehicles have certainly increased though ... like seats for kids
> 5 and 6 ;-)

Safety concerns seem to have increased a lot over the years, as have
expectations of comfort.  So yes that part has changed.  On the other
hand how many families have 6 kids anymore?  It seems some people have
minivans just so they can put the kids on seperate rows rather than work
out how to get them to get along.  Or they have the excuse of needing to
ferry around aunts/uncles/grandparents/etc, although hardly any of them
ever seem to be doing that.  Similarly people who drive a pickup just
because they claim they might have to move something, which they do
perhaps once or twice a year, when it would make much more sense
financially (and confort wise) to drive a sensible car that takes less
space, fuel, polutes less, etc, and get the stuff once or twice a year
delivered, or get a friend with a legitimate reason for having a pickup
to help out those few times.

Not sure how this has anything to do with linux of course... :)

--
Len Sorensen