DECtop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 25 03:16:43 UTC 2007

On 6/24/07, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > A HDD with a locked boot sector, which apparently must be replaced to
> > do any real Linux installation.
>
> http://jsco.org/dectop/
>
> quote: This has been resolved! I tried using the manual partition
> editor during installation, and it worked. Unfortunately, since the
> drive is now unlocked, I can't go back and test exactly what it was
> that made the difference. Thanks to Paul Chin for showing that it
> could be done!
>
> Cool.

Yeah, I was aware of this already.  Yes, it's known to be able to run
Linux without too much in the way of heroics.

USB 1.1 is admittedly not ideal, but the fact that they are actually
selling (USD) $100 computers proves it can be done, as distinct from
merely talking about the idea.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)