MythTV changes.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 22 16:37:14 UTC 2007

--- Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 10:34, Colin McGregor wrote:
> >  Before Zap2it labs the MythTV
> > people did "screen scraping" downloading web pages
> and
> > extracting the required data that way, and that
> MAY be
> > what the MythTV returns to after September 1st,
> stay
> > tuned.
> >
> I just extended my subscription yesterday and was
> saddened to see the notice
> on their web site.
>
> My experience with TV listings over the past few
> years has only involved
> Zap2It so it is good to know there may be an
> alternative.

Well, folks outside North America have never had the
likes of a Zap2It, yet people are happily using MythTV
in the UK, Germany, etc.. So you don't have to have
Zap2It for MythTV (though they did make life a LOT
easier).

> They mention subscription services, is this partly
> what you intend to cover
> Colin?   Of course Mythtv will still do its main
> job, but a lot of the
> convenience of scheduling will be reduced.

This is a developing story. The fact that Zap2It is
dropping their service and the way that impacts on
projects like MythTV is news, plus just which replaces
Zap2It will be news (subscription for $? and/or the
returns of xmltv to North America? and/or some other
option?). Beyond that I'm not sure...

What I am sure of is that there will be some sort of
solution between now and September 1st. After all we
are talking about a bunch of geeks looking at an
interesting, time limited, clearly defined problem,
with multiple valid possible solutions. I have faith
that the community will come up with at least one
(possibly more than one) valid solution.

Colin McGregor