MythTV changes.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 22 16:10:42 UTC 2007

--- Sheldon Mustard <smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > Small note (small because I can see writing about
> this
> > at greater length in a magazine article :-) ),
> Zap2it
> > labs is dropping TV listing support for MythTV
> users
> > in North America effective September 1st. So all
> of us
> > using MythTV will need to upgrade / change our
> boxes
> > between now and then. Before Zap2it labs the
> MythTV
> > people did "screen scraping" downloading web pages
> and
> > extracting the required data that way, and that
> MAY be
> > what the MythTV returns to after September 1st,
> stay
> > tuned.
> >
> > Colin McGregor
>
> Is xmltv the solution to this "issue", damn
> corporations :).

Yes and no. xmltv is a screen scraping program that is
used by MythTV folks in several countries outside
North America to create MythTV on-screen listings.
Okay, so xmltv could be adapted for use in North
America (and early versions of MythTV for North
America I gather did use xmltv), but bottom line is
"Where does the raw data come from?".

Zap2it labs was nice in that you could provide your
location via a zip/postal code and your TV provider
(cable, antenna, or satellite) then they would provide
the data all in a neatly packaged format. Part of what
caused Zap2it labs to offer data this way was the
impact that the screen scraping programs had on their
servers, so by dropping this service they may make
things worse...

Colin McGregor