Dell 1110 laser printer

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 21 00:14:45 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:

> I recently purchased a new Dell 1110 for $60 and it works well in
> Linux.  Just select Samsung ML-1020 printer driver and it works fine.
> In fact, it's easier to set it up in Linux than Windows.  With Linux,
> just plug it in, configure CUPS and it works.  With Windows, you have to
> close that New Hardware Wizard and then install the drivers from CD.
> Much easier in Linux.

I've started to notice this as well. Based on my observations, it seems
that a growing number of Windows peripherals demand that you don't
connect them until loading the driver; doing otherwise will invoke
Windows' driver-matching routines which will find the wrong driver.
Linux, OTOH, either got it right the first time or it doesn't have the
driver at all.

- Evan