Debian upgrade breaks nVidia support

Tue Jun 19 18:56:06 UTC 2007

I am using Debian testing, and after a recent dist-upgrade which updated
xorg, I found myself without a functioning windowing environment.  The
problem was that X could no longer find the nvidia driver.

I reconfigured X to use the nv driver, and I have a functioning windowing
environment again, but I cannot find a way to use the nvidia driver and
thus am not able to use OpenGL-dependent programs.

There are several, older references to this problem on the web, but none
of the methods (repair broken symlink (the symlink is not broken),
reinstalling the drivers (done, but with no effect)) are restoring these
drivers to full function.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William