linuxcaffe workshop; The Art of Ardour

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 18 13:28:38 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 14/06/07, David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Ben Powers, Ardour user, enthusiast and the guy who's writing the
> > manual, will be leading a workshop this Sunday from 4pm-6pm (yes, we
> > usually close @ 5pm Sundays) at linuxcaffe.
> > So if you've ever wished you could have a fully functional digital
> > audio workstation, c'mon down and see how it works. Benny has asked
> > attendees to "pay what you can" and we will be giving away copies of
> > the latest UbuntuStudio.
>

>  You missed a rather brilliant workshop. Benny demonstrated Ardour with a
> expertise and humour; he knows his stiff. We learned how to set up the
> realtime environment, how to make sure that  JACK and ALSA were running, and
> how arour, in combination with the Hydrogen drum synthesizer, hardware to
> enable clear microphone and instrument input, and Benny's favorite software
> synth, could be used as a powerful and comprehensive recording and mastering
> environment. Benny will be back, to give the workshop again, this summer,
> and I'll be sure to give y'all another heads up, then
>
> question; if this is, in fact, the mailing list for Toronto's linux lovers,
> why are interesting workshops (like this one) drawing 0 responses, from the
> group ?

Not sure really.  I was tied up with some personal stuff, the topic is
cool to me, but only because I'm curious as to the state of this stuff
on Linux.  Last time I tried hacking with Jack and ALSA, I spent weeks
recompiling and tweaking... but that was 4 years ago IIRC.

Most of this list seems to be comprised of small business operators
and programming student types.  We're seeing more and more FOSS
contributors though, which is cool.

I'd love to attend the make-up class :-)

-Mike