Energize IT 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 17 05:24:09 UTC 2007

| From: Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Some outside groups had booths at the event. I spoke
| to one of the people at the TASK (Toronto Area
| Security Klatch www.task.to) booth who noted their
| group is OS neutral, they deal with issues on all
| platforms. This leaves me to wonder what their
| meetings are like, 4 hours of Windows problems,
| followed by 2 minutes for the *BSDs and 2 minutes for
| Linux :-) ?

I've been to a few TASK meetings.  Very different from TLUG.

Sponsored -- free pizza and pop if you get there on time.

Very commercial: some folks with stuff to sell (like consulting); many
folks in big IT shops.  These are (mostly) technical folks, not sales
folks.

Not much Linux or BSD.  Linux is a tool.  For example, there was a
presentation on BackTrack 2.0, a live CD based on Slackware aimed at "pen.
testing" etc.

Guess: all of there notebooks and desktops are MS (perhaps a few
Macbooks).

To be fair, there have been diverse presentations.  Paul Wouters has
done several, all involving Linux.  (He too has a product: a box to
manage Secure DNS signing etc.  He gave a talk this week on it in the
TASK booth at the Infosecurity Canada conference.)

Note: I'm extrapolating from too small a sample.