Fedora 7 Audio

Robin Humble rjh-tkNKonCg4laeFQavDyXPBQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 16 15:17:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 11:01:12AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
>I just created a new user on this install and he has no permissions for audio.
>I was surprised to see no audio group so wonder if Fedora have some other way
>of doing things?

logged in local users (gui or virtual console, not remote)
automatically have permission to use audio devices. hasn't it always
been that way in fedora/redhat?

actually to be precise, probably one user has permissions at a time.
there's some new fangled 'fast user switching' in fedora now that I
haven't tried at all, but presumably it lets you have 2 desktop up for
different users and audio permissions must toggle back and forward as
you switch users.

on the occasions I want to use audio remotely I
  chmod 666 /dev/snd/*
which satisfies any modern (ALSA) app.
if there are OSS-only programs then /dev/{mixer,dsp,audio} might be
enough.
network audio server is also in f7. I haven't investigated how/why it
operates. if you figure it out then please let me know.

>One message from a Google search said to add the user to the audio group, but
>didn't suggest creating one.  Root and the first user created during the
>install do have working audio without the group.

you can do anything traditionally unix that you want to.
if you want the changes to stick then you'll likely have to play with
  /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
and other /etc/security/ settings too.

>Incidentally I am not impressed with Fedora 7 install,  upgrading from FC-6 is

don't use it then :)

f7 works well on this dell 1210 laptop - I installed it from the Live
dvd which is prob a good way to see if it looks like it's going to know
about your hardware...  compiz is fun. ooffice is 64bit. actually for
kicks I did a 'yum remove glibc.i686' which removed every i386 app, so
until I need a realplay or to watch youtube it's a pure 64bit fedora for
a change.

cheers,
robin