Surge Suppressors

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 15 16:11:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:

> The phone line *has* a surge protector, usually near the building
> entry point, which is meant to protect phones (and their accompanying
> humanoid companions) from destruction during a lightning strike. (My
> recollection is that there is a spark gap and two thyristors.) So, is
> surge protection really required on a phone line?

I had an experience several years ago that makes me think it might be
important.

Right after a nasty storm, I noticed the light on my answering machine
was off. When I checked, I found that not only had some kind of surge
taken the machine off-line, but my telephone's memory had been wiped
clean. I had to reprogram it and put the phone numbers back in.

Since my DSL modem is connected to the phone line and my computer, I
would think that the modem, and my computer, is potentially as
vulnerable to a surge as that phone was.

I did some googling and found several power companies that state in
their FAQ's that they suggest surge protection for phones and modems.
Mind you, I also found some dissenting opinions, so I remain as unsure
as before.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org