Superkey?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 15 12:58:41 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Upon installing Beryl on a Kubuntu system, I found that some of the
> features require "Superkey+<key>" to get to.
>
> Apparently "Superkey" is normally the 'windows' key on conventional PC
> keyboards -- but such key doesn't exist on my laptop.
>
> I've looked at the keyboard mapping using xmodmap and apparently, the
> right Alt key appears not to be mapped to anything.
>
> How easy is it to do this mapping to that the right Alt key performs
> this function? Am I clobbering any other hidden function of Alt_R on
> conventional systems?

  xmodmap -e "add Mod4 = Menu"
  xmodmap -e "keysym Menu = Super_L"

This isn't exactly what you need, but it's close: unfortunately, I did
it about a year ago so the details are no longer in my head.  My
laptop has only one Windows key, and I wanted two - one on either side
of the space bar.  I had a "Menu" key which I never used in the same
position as the Windows key on the other side of the Space bar.  The
first line above changes the Menu key to act like the Mod4 key.  The
second line ... I believe it's there because the Menu key was still
spitting some extra inappropriate codes and this fixed the problem.
Put these lines in your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession.

So ... get out yer "man xmodmap" and look for the "-e" section and I
think you'll figure it out pretty quickly.  You may also need xev to
figure out the exact name and number of the key(s) you're trying to
remap.  Good luck.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/