Spam problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 14 06:21:51 UTC 2007

John Van Ostrand wrote:
> My guess is that it's actual from 192.139.81.120. It's a little odd that
> there are headers between the Received lines. I have heard of forged
> headers but I've yet to see one.
>
> One way to deal with this is to add a signature to the headers of each
> outgoing message. Then you check the bounce messages for that same
> signature. If it's not there then the message didn't go through your
> server.

Sadly, it is/was coming from my machine. :<

I've upgraded the server and blocked about 8 class A networks at my
firewall. It's draconian, but it seems to have stemmed the tide until I
can look at the problem tomorrow (it's 2:30am now...).

It looks like they've found a way to connect to my machine's sendmail
even though relaying should be denied. Any idea how this could have
happened? At any rate, I will look into that tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

a tired Madi