FW:Shuttleworth - what Microsoft is doing is "racketeering" ....

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 11 14:42:01 UTC 2007

On 6/11/07, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> --- Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > Goddamn folks, how long are people to bitch about
> > Microsoft without
> > > doing something about it? We all know they're
> > douchebags... either hack
> > > them, firebomb their offices or something... or
> > stop talking about them.
> >
> > Given that we live in a different world now (post
> > 9/11) can someone step in
> > and remind people that instigating someone to
> > firebomb someone's office can
> > get you gitmo'd?
>
> Agreed!
>
> Look folks, much as I dislike MS, suggesting illegal
> acts is on every level stupid and insane.
>
> I have doubts about the value/effectiveness of
> peacefully picketing Microsoft events, but if someone
> here wants to do that I will not try to stop them.
> Same thing with doing things like sending letters to
> MPs regarding Microsoft's behaviour, again fine with
> me. If it is done within the letter of various
> laws/regulations I have no real problem (other than
> questioning the value) with people putting up
> anti-Microsoft posters, etc.. There are a large number
> of ways to express displeasure with Microsoft without
> going outside the letter of the law...

Even better than going outside the letter of the law would be
intentionally staying within it.  If we act like responsible concerned
citizens, we'll have much greater impact.

I truly believe that the more support CLUE receives from LUG's and
their members - from here and across Canada - the better;  our
cumulative voice needs to become loud and clear.

While this doesn't speak directly to the M$ issue, I think the
following is an avenue we could clearly pursue.  In the long run, and
with much effort, perhaps M$ could eventually be forced to come sit at
a table with us.

"CLUE will identify the political issues of importance to its
membership, and then work to advance its members' perspective to
policy makers in both the private and public sectors as well as the
news media. While identifying the appropriate people and organizations
to which our message should be conveyed, we will work with our
community to develop policy positions that are sound, factual, and
relevant."

http://www.cluecan.ca/advocacy

--
Scott Elcomb

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain