DSL service [was Re:TLUG Mail list archives?]

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 9 06:45:38 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 23:37, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Yesterday, Pathcom (the ISP in this soap-opera) announced that Bell
> would be visiting to diagnose the problem at my end.
>
> Today the Bell Service Guy came by early in the morning, while I
> was still at home. He didn't knock, he just measured the line,
> decided it was OK, and put a piece of paper through the door saying
> 'Sorry I missed you since you weren't home.'
>
> And he left an advert for Sympatico, just in case we were keen to
> switch to someone else.

That is reprehensible behaviour. No matter what you may think of
Pathcom, you should report this incident to them. If I ran Pathcom, I
would be quite upset if I *paid* to have Bell show up on my behalf
and drop off a flyer exhorting my client to switch.

> The line dropping problem continues unabated.

You might want to try another DSL provider, such as Teksavvy which I
see many people recommending here (I use Rogers). Teksavvy provides a
DSL Login service for people who already have DSL service from
another provider. See: <http://teksavvy.com/resdsllogin.htm>. There
are no setup fees and it will cost you $10/month apparently. I have
no idea if they expect you to sign a long-term contract. If the
problem goes away, Pathcom is most likely at fault. If it does not,
you have another data point.

> Time to talk to Rogers, I think.

It is a sad state of affairs when the choices we have for broadband
Internet access in Canada is based which of the two monopolies you
hate the least.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay