Linux vs Solaris

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 8 16:35:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Jeff Liu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am learning Solaris10 X86 now and find some difference between Linux
> and Solaris, however I don't know what's the major difference. So far
> what I found include,
>
> 1. Looks like compiling source code on Solaris is not an easy job.

    Install the GNU gcc/binutils, and it will be the same.

> 2. Some command syntax are different on Solaris.

    Again, Solaris doesn't have the GNU utils, but otherwise the shells
    are the same. Unless, of course, you are using csh, in which case
    change your shell to bash (if it's installed; install it if it's
    not) or the POSIX shell, which is /usr/xpg4/bin/sh.

    Solaris also uses obsolete versions of some commands by default,
    but have POSIX versions in /usr/xpg4/bin/ (awk is a famous example;
    use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk instead).

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
    ========= Do not reply to the From: address; use Reply-To: ========